Materials and Equipment are the fundamental foundation of all physical creations, the Rube Goldberg Machine can only function with effective use and application to the materials present. The potential of materials are endless, especially in my work where I explore those within the household concentrating their function away from conventional uses.
Theorist Manuel De Landa talks about how artists/ designers/ architects can work in partnership with materials. That is to understand the physicality of the materials you are working with (weight, size, mass, characteristics etc.).
- What are some of materials you are using to build your Rube Goldberg Machine component?
- What do you need them to do?
- What is the most effective way of working with these materials?
I am challenging this theory and adapting it to new and emerging technologies such as the Arduino, converging the physical with the digital. How do the two behave with each other within the Rube Goldberg Machine and what parameters can be explored in doing so. I begin to ask:
- What are the capabilities of these technologies toward normal materials?
- Can this affect their conventional function?
- Can these technologies bring life the the inanimate with data transmission?
Let me know your ideas and what materials and equipment you think would be effective combined with technologies like the Arduino in the construction of a Rube Goldberg Machine. I would love to here your thoughts, ideas and insights!